Skip to main content

Blog Journal 2

     Microsoft Word was probably the first things I used when we started using technology in school. I got really familiar with it in elementary school and in the beginning of middle school, but in seventh or eighth grade, my middle school gave each student an iPad to use for the year. We started using Google Classroom, so instead of using Microsoft Word, we used Google Docs. Ever since then, I've used Google Docs, and personally, I prefer it, just because I like accessing it from a Google Chrome window and it's associated with my email. I can also keep all documents without saving them to my computer, so they don't take up any space.

    I think the most important ISTE standard for educators is being a leader. By being a leader, educators can teach and help improve technological use throughout the classroom and not only improve teaching, but learning as well. It is important because not only did educators just teach, they are supposed to be there as leaders and mentors in all areas, not just teaching. Being a leader shows your confidence and the initiative a teacher is willing to take to improve their students learning.

    A digital native is someone who was born on and after the 1980's who are the "most familiar" with technology and learn better with it. I do agree that most people after that time period are more familiar with technology and prefer to use it, but that is only for the people that have access to it. There are some people in lower classes that don't have access to the technology that other students and teachers do, so it may be easier for them to learn in the simple paper and pencil way. I have seen differences between how I understand technology and how some of my teachers understand it. There are definitely some teachers who aren't as familiar with it, and come across various issues that they don't know how to solve, but I've seen students assist in solving those issues. I have been more of a physical learner myself, though. I prefer taking notes on pencil and paper and writing out note cards to study, because writing things down helps me remember them more. Although, I do appreciate teachers incorporating digital learning into the classroom, as it is easier to type essays than write them, and it is easier to keep track of documents on a computer rather than having a bunch of papers scattered in a binder.

"bs-iv-folie-3" by algogenius is licensed under CC BY 2.0


Comments

  1. I like how you described how teachers need to be leaders because then they have the ability to improve not only their teaching, but also their student's learning, like you said. I also agree with your comment on how most "digital natives" like to use technology, but not everyone born in the "digital natives" time period has access to technology. This does hinder their chances to become familiar with it, so classic pencil and paper may be the only resources. Do you think that the state should make sure that all schools have at least some technology, so that all students can have a fair chance to use it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal 6

      When I first opened Diigo, the main thing I noticed was how "old" it looked compared to most modern day websites. The set-up looked like it was from the early to mid-2000s, which made it a little harder to navigate. I started looking at everyone's posts and seeing how they did theirs, so I started exploring the page and figuring out how to bookmark my pages. Once I did it once, it was easy to do again. I haven't done the annotation yet, but I think once I watch the tutorial video, it'll be easy to do. If I'm being honest, I don't necessarily like Diigo, just because it feels a little old to me, but it has a great use for the class.     The only other time I have blogged outside of this class was in seventh grade when I had to write weekly blogs on books I was chose to read for my language arts class. I was very much a book nerd back then, so I usually ended up finishing a book per week, so each blog post was about a new book every week. I really did

Blog Post 5

      Twitter has never really been one of my top social media apps. I used it once in a while when I was younger to follow my favorite authors and keep up to date on their book releases. I was very much a book nerd growing up, and a lot of authors updated their lives on Twitter! Over the past couple years, I haven't really interacted with is much, and ended up deleting the app a couple of years ago because of lack of use, but re-downloaded it for this class. I hope to use Twitter in my future career as a teacher, as this class has made me realize how helpful it can be for teachers.     The digital divide is something that affects students a lot, especially in the virtual schooling we are doing right now. Some students don't have the same access to hardware and software that other students do. The socio-economic divide is a huge reason as to why only certain students have access to technology. If students don't have this access to technology, their success rate could be ast

Blog Journal 8

     The Web Design assignment was very interesting. I have used Weebly before, but because I was so young when I did, I didn't realize how much there was to create your website. I learned so many ways to make a website unique, and it made it super simple to use. There were a lot of shortcuts to put a lot of different things in the website just by clicking and dragging a link. After creating a mock-teacher website, I will definitely consider making one of my own when I become a teacher. Here is the link to my website:   http://rabin2ndgrade.weebly.com/      From Diigo, I learned a lot on how to annotate online. I didn't even realize when we first started using Diigo how to attach an extension to Chrome, so using the Diigo extension helped me see how to do so. The Diigo extension allowing me to annotate the various bookmarks, and it was very cool how it was able to be shared with the rest of the class. As useful as Diigo was for this class, I do not think I would use it for my f